Truth, Beauty, and Data
Readings due before class on Tuesday, September 4, 2018
- Chapter 1 in Kieran Healy, Data VisualizationKieran Healy, Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2018), http://socviz.co/.
- Chapters 2 and 3 in Alberto Cairo, The Truthful ArtAlberto Cairo, The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication (Berkeley, California: New Riders, 2016).
(skim the introduction and chapter 1)
- Study: Charts change hearts and minds better than words do
- President Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s 2013 CES devotional “What is Truth?”.Dieter F. Uchtdorf, “What Is Truth?” BYU Speeches of the Year, 2012–13, January 13, 2013, https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/dieter-f-uchtdorf_what-is-truth/.
Questions to reflect on
- How do we know what is true?
- Are facts truth?
- Why do we visualize data?
- What makes a great visualization?
- How do you choose which kind of visualization to use?