Mapping data to graphics
Readings due before class on Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Hans Rosling, “200 Countries, 200 Years, 4 Minutes”
- Chapter 2 in Claus Wilke, Fundamentals of Data VisualizationClaus E. Wilke, Fundamentals of Data Visualization (Sebastopol, California: O’Reilly Media, 2018), https://serialmentor.com/dataviz/.
- Chapter 3 in Kieran Healy, Data VisualizationKieran Healy, Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2018), http://socviz.co/.
Walking through this chapter here and working through all the code will be immensely helpful.
- 3.1–3.9 in ModernDiveChester Ismay and Albert Y. Kim, ModernDive: An Introduction to Statistical and Data Sciences via R, 2018, https://moderndive.com/.
Questions to reflect on
- Why is it important to visualize variables and data?
- What does it mean to map data to graph aesthetics?
- How are grammar of graphics aesthetics (i.e.
aes()in ggplot) related to Tufte’s data-to-ink ratio?
- What data was mapped to which aesthetics in Rosling’s video?