Readings due before class on Tuesday, October 23, 2018
- Chapter 9 in Claus Wilke, Fundamentals of Data VisualizationClaus E. Wilke, Fundamentals of Data Visualization (Sebastopol, California: O’Reilly Media, 2018), https://serialmentor.com/dataviz/.
- Sparkline theory and practiceThis is a collection of posts by Edward Tufte about sparklines—scroll down a ways and check out his examples, analysis, and critiques.
- Time series sparklines
- The bullet graph
- Lollipop chartsIf you’re feeling adventurous (and you should!), do this tutorial as you read it.
Questions to reflect on
- These readings all show a ton of new ways to present comparisons. Which ones are your favorite? Which ones didn’t quite click with you? In what situations are some more appropriate than others?
- Do bullet graphs break the rule against double y-axes? Why or why not?