Readings due before class on Tuesday, November 6, 2018
- Chapter 10 in Alberto Cairo, The Truthful ArtAlberto Cairo, The Truthful Art: Data, Charts, and Maps for Communication (Berkeley, California: New Riders, 2016).
- Chapter 7 in Kieran Healy, Data VisualizationKieran Healy, Data Visualization: A Practical Introduction (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2018), http://socviz.co/.
It looks like this is a lot of reading, but lots of these are short videos or tweets or interactive websites, so don’t worry!
- Why all world maps are wrong
- The True Size Of…
- Map projections
- Gall-Peters Projection
- “When Maps Lie”
- Animated Mercator distortion
- “These Twisted Maps Prove That America Isn’t a Red Country”
- “The next great fake news threat? Bot-designed maps”
- “New World Map That Accurately Shows Earth in 2D Created by Scientists”
Questions to reflect on
- How can you know if a map projection is truthful or misleading?
- What’s wrong (or not wrong) with using points on maps? Choropleths? Lines?